Gatchaman Episode 10: The Great Underground Monster War by lborgia88, saturn
[Reviews - 0] - Table of Contents - [Report This]

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Author's Chapter Notes:Thank you, Saturn, for your screencaps and comments!
Of course, like all villains, Ant-Katse doesn't actually stick around to ensure that his death plan works as it should. Next we see Ken, Joe, Jun and Jinpei, they are still trapped inside the dome, but no one is around at all. They're clearly beginning to suffer oxygen deprivation now.


[Saturn: "The team (sans Ryu, as usual) is trapped inside the capsule and are all short of breath."]
 


Ken tries hitting the glass with his birdrang, to no avail. This time it's Jinpei, not Joe, who gets an idea (maybe as he's smaller, he needs less oxygen and is able to think more clearly).


[Saturn: "Jinpei (with a very cute facial expression, perhaps due to shortness of breath) gets an inspiration to use his weapon. Note that in this picture, Ken is facing him, while if we look at the above screenshot, it should have been Joe who is facing him."]
 


Jinpei sprinkles explosive powder inside his bolas.


[Saturn: "Jinpei puts explosives (only now do I know he always brings explosives in his pocket) into his American clackers."]
 


Jun shows consternation at what Jinpei's doing, but Joe says "it's a good idea." (Does Joe ever carry explosives? I'm not coming up with any memories of that...) As the timers on Jinpei's bolas count down on the floor beside the glass dome, the others prepare by huddling together beneath their wings on the other side of the dome (also Jinpei's idea).


[Saturn: "The team huddle beneath their capes as the bomb goes off. (I wonder if I can have a cape like this to play peek-a-boo or hide&seek with my nephews and nieces Smile )"]
 


The resulting explosion blows a hole in the dome's glass, but the Team is unharmed, and now re-oxygenated.


[Saturn: "The Team escape from a hole made by the explosion. Jinpei goes first. Unfortunately (SMUTTY MIND ALERT!) we are not shown who goes next and we cannot know whether Ken and Joe purposefully let Jun go out first in order to take a glimpse of her butt. Smile "]
 


Jinpei can't resist crowing that "I'm a lot smarter than you thought!"

Next we see the ants pretty much destroying Utoland, and the Red Impulse Team's jets fly through the sky and add to the destruction by blasting missiles at the ants (hey, didn't Ryu note that missiles don't work well against ant swarms?)


[Saturn: "Cut to the city, Red Impulse and his squadron are firing at the ants."]
 

 


"Give it all you've got, men!" says Red Impulse (with some excessive drama), "Stake your very honor on not allowing a single robot ant into the city!" (It sure looks like they're already in the city, but maybe it's just the suburbs.) The RI Team fire more missiles, which burst into flaming explosions and bake many of the ants.

Ant-Katse is watching this on a screen, presumably at the ant nest base, and he's not pleased at the damage Red Impulse is inflicting on his robot ants, so he declares it's time to launch Galactor's "newest super weapon!"


[Saturn: "The Queen Ant or the King Ant (I am not really sure about the gender, but judging from the voice, we can know already that it is Katse (nice costume, BTW, such details!). Katse is angry that RI are destroying her ants, and sends out the "supposedly" best Galactor weapon ever (drum roll..........) THE GIANT ANT!!!!, fresh out of the cocoon."]
 
 


Meanwhile, Ken, Joe, Jun and Jinpei are sneaking through the ant nest base, undetected, but they see a giant white ant larva. We cut to Ryu, hovering in the air near the ant nests in the God Phoenix (worrying about the others and feeling lonely) as he sees the giant larva emerge from the ground, spinning rapidly. As Ryu watches, the top of the larva breaks off and a giant ant mecha emerges. It attempts to spit some something at the God Phoenix, but Ryu gets the God Phoenix out of the way in time, nervously remarking that he "couldn't step on" this ant.

From inside the base, Ken contacts Ryu, and we can see the four Team members standing victoriously, weapons in hand, as the floor around them is strewn with dead goons (aww, we didn't get to see the big fight scene!). Ken wants Ryu to come pick them up, and Ryu obliges by lowering a rope that they all cling to as the God Phoenix lifts them away from the ant nest base.


[Saturn: "The Team is pulled up by a line to the God Phoenix, and (SMUTTY MIND ALERT!) judging by Ken's facial expression, perhaps Jun is holding on to a 'sensitive part' of his body Smile ?"]
 


All on board the God Phoenix, Dr. Nambu is on screen, thanking them for locating the robot ants' base, and announcing that he's determined that the robot ants are especially vulnerable to external heat, which is why the attack when the sun is down and why RI's flaming missiles were effective. Ken is ready to go and blast the ant mecha with missiles too, but Dr. Nambu tells him that they must wait until morning to attack it (as it'll be more vulnerable then).


[Saturn: "Dr. Nambu informs the team that the Giant Ant mecha weakness is external heat, and they will have to wait for the sun to come out."]
 


Ken does point out that while they delay, there will probably be more casualties as a result of the ant mecha. Dr. Nambu, however, gravely says "this is the only choice we have."

Boy, was Ken right! In the night, the ant mecha destroys an entire subway train full of passengers (and we learn that the stuff that it spits makes its target instantly burst into flames) and then it heads above ground to destroy buildings and spread fires there too.

Then, the Red Impulse jets appear (as they don't take orders from Dr. Nambu) and fire missiles at the ant mecha. As we cut to the interior of the mecha, Ant-Katse is there, angrily ordering the mecha to go into a nearby underwater tunnel to evade the RI missiles. The ant mecha smashes a few cars out of the way and heads into the tunnel as Red Impulse calls off his team's attack as they can't follow the mecha in there.


[Saturn: "Katse instructs the goons to take the mecha into a tunnel to avoid RI and his squadron. BTW, a little bit Out Of Context here, but after looking at the full ant costume of Katse, I can't help but notice that Katse's ant costume reminds me of a common clothing in the Reaissance era. Perhaps the animator wanted to add some nobility to Katse, because come on, nobody is going to take someone in an ant costume seriously!"]
 
 


[Saturn: "The ant mecha escapes into the tunnel and wreaks havoc inside the tunnel."]
 

On board the God Phoenix, Dr. Nambu explains that the tunnel is the world's longest underwater tunnel, built by the ISO (and judging from the image he shows, it goes under a wide river or a bay). He orders the Team to mobilize at the other end of the tunnel and await the ant mecha there. As they fly towards the other end of the tunnel, Jinpei notes that the sun is up outiside. Inside the tunnel, the ant mecha is destroying cars and passengers with its flaming spit and stomping on them too.

Waiting impatiently for the ant mecha to emerge, Ken asks Jinpei for a weather forecast. Jinpei tells him that it's sunny, but that there are a lot of clouds around. "We need you now, sun. Shine bright for us," says Ken as we once again see the sun shining in the sky. As a glimmer of light in the tunnel suggests the mecha's emergence in imminent, Ken instructs Ryu to initiate "Operation Sun" -okay, not the most imaginative name. It entails using a dish-shaped screen that extends from the nose of the God Phoenix (making me wonder why Joe's car isn't in its way).

The ant mecha crawls out of the tunnel. A very nervous Dr. Nambu is watching it all from a nearby ATC tower. As he gives the word, Ken tells Ryu to focus the dish-shaped screen at the ant mecha. It turns out that it collects and concentrates heat from the sun and directs it all at the mecha.

[Saturn: "The mecha finally emerges from the tunnel. Ryu focuses the giant parabola on the Giant Ant."]
 
 


The plan is working great, and the mecha (and its occupants, including Ant-Katse) is in distress but of course, at that moment, clouds move in front of the sun and the ant mecha recovers and rallies. An irate Ant-Katse orders the mecha to "knock the God Phoenix out of the sky!" Yes, this ant mecha has wings too, and can fly.


[Saturn: "The damage is not enough though because clouds cover the sun. The God Phoenix is now attacked by the FLYING Giant Ant instead."]
 


Airborne, it closes in on the now vulnerable God Phoenix and Ryu dodges the mecha's attempt to shoot its flaming spit at them. The God Phoenix is also hampered by the dish-shaped screen on its nose which prevents it from flying fast. Dr. Nambu orders them to retreat. Just then, the Red Impulse Team (again, who don't take orders from Nambu) shows up yet again and RI himself tells Ken, condescendingly, to "leave this to Red Impulse!"


[Saturn: "No worries because RI and his squadron come to the rescue, and blast some missiles at the Giant Ant."]
 
 


Ken complies but declares he won't just sit by and watch (you tell him, Ken!). Joe wants to fire some bird missiles at the mecha but Ken wants to try waiting for the clouds to move away from the sun. Of course, the sun understands a hero's dramatic timing needs, and at that moment it shines bright again.


[Saturn: "The sun finally comes out. Ryu re-focuses the giant parabola on the mecha."]
 


They turn the heat on the mecha once again, and this time as they all watch nervously, they succeed and the mecha falls from the sky in flames and explodes (but not before an escape rocket bears Ant-Katse to safety, vowing revenge.)


[Saturn: "The giant ant is destroyed, and Katse, in an escape pod, swears revenge to the SNT and says that she will be back (perhaps in a cockroach costume next time, Smile "]
 
 


[Saturn: "Dr. Nambe is relieved that the mission is a success and wipes his sweat off with his handkerchief (which has mysteriously changed its color from the usual brown to white)"]
 


"Gatchaman, you've done well. Just know that we are watching, until we meet again..." says Red Impulse.


[Saturn: "RI says that he admires the SNT's skills and salutes them."]
 


Yes, we will be seeing Red Impulse again. On board the God Phoenix, the Team all rejoice and congratulate each other.


[Saturn: "Everyone in the God Phoenix is in a happy mood, including Joe, who is very sweet towards Jinpei, that Jinpei blushes -how cute!"]
 
 

Dr. Nambu says this victory over Galactor represents the teamwork of the ISO and the Science Ninja Team. Jun then says that they should recognize another team member too -the sun. With that, the God Phoenix flies off towards the shining sun.


[Saturn: "As if to remind us about the importance of the sun in this episode, instead of the usual sunset in the ending shot of every Gatchaman episode, we are now given the shot of the Sun in its shining glory. In fact, I am so touched that I am going straight to my karaoke set now and belt out 'You are my sunshine'. Wonder if my singing can work as an insect repellent in my house Smile ?"]
 


THE END.

~ Table of Contents ~
[Report This]