Growing Pains by Chris White
[Reviews - 4] - Table of Contents - [Report This]

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +

Next Kozaburo decided that the third least difficult was Ryu. The boy was easy-going, so that wasn't the problem. It was just that he lacked confidence. His different build made him feel terribly out of place, and Kozaburo hadn't yet figured out how to overcome that. Helping the boy go on a diet just seemed to reinforce the problem. Ignoring the issue just reinforced it a different way.

So it was with trepidation that he went searching, and relief when he found Ryu on the flight simulator. Now there was a place the boy's skills really shone. No one flew the God Phoenix simulator as well as Ryu. Not even Ken.

He didn't want to interrupt so he sat in one of the carefully-placed observation chairs. The children liked to shift the seats around, tricking one another into sitting out of place so they'd get nauseous at the strange angles as everything moved. Having fallen prey to that a few times himself, he waited, making sure that everything felt right. Only then did he relax.

Watching Ryu pilot the flying brick through rough weather, dodging terrain and attacks, Kozaburo pondered how to make him understand that he truly had a gift. He'd love to bring the boy to a base and let him fly the simulation against top pilots, but it was important to keep the project a secret, along with the childrens' identities. 

Then he remembered some of the kids' computer games. The ones that let them play against other children — and adults — all over the world. Perhaps he could arrange something remotely?

Maybe. Though that would expose other pilots to the God Phoenix itself. So perhaps not.

Ryu brought the digital plane in for a landing. Kozaburo sat up, letting him disconnect himself before saying, "I'm going to have to add harder settings just to keep up with you."

The poor boy jumped, then flushed. "I had some problems with the wind shear on landing."

"Given how easily you handled the lightning, hail, mountains, and incoming fire, I think you can be forgiven," chuckled Kozaburo. "Yes the ultimate goal is to get the plane down perfectly. Getting it back in one piece along with everyone in it is a good secondary goal."

"Yeah, I guess." Ryu shuffled in place.

Kozaburo searched for something else encouraging to say. Then it hit them. "I saw the way you took Ken and Joe down outside, earlier. They never saw that coming, did they?"

Finally, Ryu grinned. "The looks on their faces!"

"I doubt they could do that to you, Ryu, even together," said Kozaburo. "That's a skill that's uniquely yours."

He was relieved when the grin didn't fade. It just got bigger. Maybe he was finally getting through.

"You could really add some new levels?" Ryu looked at the simulator.

"Definitely. I'll tell my people to have the next batch ready tomorrow." They were always working on the next set, so that was simple enough.

"Great!"

Seeing that Ryu was eager to go, Kozaburo stood, squeezing his shoulder. With another broad smile, the boy took off. Within moments, no doubt he'd be hearing about Joe and racing, but Ryu had to wait until he was thirteen before he could start flying real planes.

At least he was almost there. In the meantime, perhaps a visit home would be good for him. They were by the sea but Ryu never really got to enjoy it. As the only one with family, it was to forget they were there, and it wasn't something Kozaburo wanted him to take for granted.

If nothing else, it gave Ryu one more thing to dig in deep and fight for.

~ Table of Contents ~
[Report This]