Growing Pains by Chris White
[Reviews - 4] - Table of Contents - [Report This]

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +

Kozaburo had definitely saved the hardest for last. During dinner, he quietly observed, trying to decide if he imagining things, but no. Jun did everything she could to gain Ken's notice. He remained completely unaware, confused even at her attentions.

Of course, she was only eleven. If any of the boys showed her real interest he'd have them by the ears so fast they'd leave their heads behind. But Joe and Ryu certainly noticed Jun's clumsy attempts to gain Ken's affections. Jinpei picked it up from them, quietly teasing her about it. All Ken did was look vastly uncomfortable.

Not that this was any kind of proof. No, but it was a data point. What had Kozaburo's attention more was watching Ken around Joe. It was like he was watching two people: the Ken who knew Joe or others were looking, and the Ken who thought he was unobserved. A dichotomy Kozaburo knew all too well.

Was he just projecting? Was he letting his own past color what he saw?

Maybe, but he didn't think so. He'd seen other girls try to catch Ken's attention. He looked so much like his mother, gifted with an almost pretty innocence that might annoy him, but would serve him well in undercover work and protecting his identity. Ken never batted an eye when they looked his way. Occasionally, though, Kozaburo had seen him notice other boys.

So he wasn't imagining that. But an interest in Joe? Perhaps.

Or it was just a boyhood crush that would pass on its own. Certainly, Joe didn't hide his own adventures. Ken had to be well aware of where Joe's interests lay.

It wasn't that Kozaburo was concerned about stopping anything. Of all people, he could care less about any of their sexual preferences, as long as they were careful and discrete. No, his concern was that in hiding it, Ken was creating a weak point that could be exploited. The longer this went on, the easier it would be for someone to blackmail him, or worse.

Hence, the talk he was avoiding. Just coming out and asking could crush the boy, making him fear it was far too obvious. Yet there was nothing effeminate about Ken and that much wasn't an act. Kozaburo wouldn't have noticed anything at all if he didn't see the boys interact every day, and didn't have his own history. A dozen tiny things gelling together toward realization. 

Suddenly he realized they were all looking at him, plates clean. Blinking, he realized they were being polite, waiting to be excused. Of all the days. Chuckling, he said, "You may go."

Used to his drifting off in thought, they quietly collected their plates and marched toward the kitchen. While the housekeeper cooked and did many of the chores since the children trained and studied so hard, Kozaburo had insisted they learn some responsibility and civilized manners. He listened to them loading their dishes into the dishwasher, then returned to pondering the best approach to his dilemma.

Perhaps the side-long approach was best. Start with the issue of Jun and go from there.

Feet tramped on the stairs. Rather than going up and risking that someone might overhear the conversation, Kozaburo went to his office. He buzzed Ken's room, asking him to come down, knowing that by then the teen would be expecting the summons anyway. Information always spread quickly among the kids, and he rarely did his rounds with only four of them.

It wasn't long before his office door opened. Ken was doing his best to look casual, but Kozaburo could see the tightness in the way the boy moved. That tactical mind had to be churning non-stop, as he wondered why he was last.

Once Ken had closed the door, Kozaburo gestured toward the chair in front of his desk. Always the dutiful boy, Ken sat, apprehension in those bright blue eyes so much like his mother's. Since he'd already started his flying lessons, he would know he wasn't getting exciting news as well.

"You wanted to see me, Hakase?"

Kozaburo folded his hands on his desk. Since Ken always did well with praise, he started with that. "Your tutors are pleased with your work, and your flight instructor in particular says that you're doing better than many of his older students."

As he'd expected, Ken brightened at that news. His instructor had actually said that Ken flew like he, himself, had wings. Kozaburo thought that was a bit much and preferred to keep Ken's mental feet on the ground. It would be far too easy to praise his ego right out of control.

"There is something I wanted to talk to you about," he said.

Ken tensed. "What is it, Hakase?"

Was that a hint of guilt he saw? Kozaburo was under no illusions. The boy might have angelic puppy eyes, but he was as much of a hellion as Joe. He just put more effort into not getting caught.

No matter. Today's issue was more important than discovering what Ken was getting away with. Steepling his fingers, Kozaburo braced himself for drama. "I wanted to speak with you about Jun."

Big blue eyes blinked at him. "What about her, Hakase?"

Kozaburo didn't doubt the confusion was real. That just made this discussion all the more important. 

"I don't suppose you've noticed," he said, knowing anyone else would find what he was saying humorously obvious, "that Jun has a bit of a crush on you."

Blue eyes widened. "What?"

Sadly, Kozaburo believed him. As a ninja, they needed to work on his observational skills. "You haven't noticed her trying to get your attention? Watching you?"

"Sure. I'm the team lead," said Ken, still looking stunned. 

Kozaburo almost wished he'd snuck a doodle page from Jun's notebook. He could show Ken all the hearts with J+KW in them, but then the blush that currently creeping onto Ken's face might singe his fair skin. Of course, this wasn't quite getting things where he wanted to go, which meant he had to keep pushing.

"I realize you wouldn't take advantage of an eleven-year-old girl," Kozaburo started, watching the flush drain as Ken paled. "Of course you wouldn't. But it will become an issue if the crush continues, especially if you don't discourage it."

Which would be moot if Ken just told her he was gay. From the panicked little back and forth dart his gaze was doing, Kozaburo suspected Ken wasn't going to see that as the easy route. 

"So, uh, how do I …"

"How do you … what?" Kozaburo wasn't letting him off that easy.

An almost imperceptible fidget. "How do I discourage her without, you know, being mean?"

"Try the truth." 

The tension in that pregnant pause was a physical thing. For once Ken looked as young as he was, completely lost. 

"What? I just walk up and tell her I'm not interested?" Ken winced. "But she hasn't said anything."

Yes, they definitely had to work on Ken's awareness of other people. Kozaburo sighed. The boy was digging in. There was no way he was going to confess on his own. "You tell her that you'll never be interested, because you're gay."

If Ken had been pale before, he was suddenly stark white. Instead of fidgeting, he was now statue still with terror, and if he didn't breathe soon Kozaburo feared he'd be picking the boy up off the floor. Time to let the other shoe drop. "It's not obvious, Ken. I only see it because I watch you and see myself at your age."

At first he wasn't sure Ken heard him. Then fear dissolved into confusion, until the teen was staring at him with open disbelief. "What?"

Kozaburo kept his tone dry. "Do I need to have your hearing tested?"

"But …" Indecision flickered through Ken's eyes. 

Deciding to head him off before he could attempt a denial, Kozaburo said, "Attitudes are much more permissive today. There's no need to hide it from the others. They're your team, your family."

Ken paled again, shaking his head. "I can't."

"If you keep it some kind of shameful secret," said Kozaburo, "it can be used against you."

"No." Ken stood. "I can't. And what about you? You haven't told us you're … that."

Good lord, Ken couldn't even say it. "I don't think you lot really want to know about my love life." 

Wide blue eyes stared for a moment. Ken gave a small shudder, then started pacing. "You can't. You can't make me do this."

Was this about his sexuality? Or about Joe? Kozaburo wasn't sure, but that was certainly an issue he wasn't going to press. Not when a small crush could easily pass in favor of a string of others at this age. "I won't make you. I think in hiding it you sell your team short, though." 

Ken was pacing again. Then he stopped, eyes narrowing. "That's why you called me in here. This wasn't about Jun at all."

Kozaburo allowed the corner of his mouth to twitch up. Since Ken hadn't tried to bluster his way out of the assertion that he was gay, he'd return the favor and be honest as well. "It is and isn't. Jun does have a crush on you. I do want you to find a way to discourage it. Honesty seems the best way, but if you truly can't stomach it, you'll have to find another."

"But …" Ken swallowed, then squared his shoulders. "I'll figure something out, Hakase."

Watching him stand so stiffly, Kozaburo could practically see the walls Ken carried around himself growing even thicker. Had he made a mistake? "Perhaps one day you'll change your mind."

Ken's lips thinned into a line. Apparently recognizing the dismissal, he turned and left.

And that made five. Deciding it was definitely not too early in the day for Scotch, Kozaburo grabbed a glass and poured himself a double. Somewhere, he knew, Giuseppe was laughing at him. Of all of the crazy ideas, raising a gaggle of kids on his own to fight a war no one believed was coming.

Should he have offered to out himself if Ken did? Thinking back to the look on Ken's face, no, that would have accomplished nothing. The boy just needed time to accept who he was. Then he'd find the strength to say the words.

Until then, Kozaburo would live in dread of what methods Ken might try use to discourage Jun. The longer that issue was allowed to continue, the bigger the thunderclouds of drama would grow. He just had to steel himself not to step in. They had to figure this out for themselves.

He'd only say something if Ken decided to hide his orientation by encouraging her.

Chapter End Notes:
Remember, comments are love. :)
~ Table of Contents ~
[Report This]