Unleashed (Sort Of...) by ElectricWhite
[Reviews - 4] - Table of Contents - [Report This]

Printer
- Text Size +
The glass in the front door and windows of the Snack J made a near-perfect mirror in the noontime sunlight. Ken stood at the door, frowning at the CLOSED sign and the drawn shades.

He quickly made his way around back. There HAD to be a good reason for the place to be locked up...

Joe had just gotten out of his car when Ken arrived behind the Snack. But, before either one could say anything, Jun stormed out of the building.

“I’ve had it with that kid!” she cried as she threw her leg over her motorbike. She kick-started the engine and sped off.

Ken and Joe exchanged stunned looks. They’d seen Jun angry at Jinpei before, but this reached a new level. They took turns looking between Jun’s ever-shrinking image and the back door. Should they go after Jun? Go see what mayhem Jinpei unleashed this time? Split up?

Without saying a word, they both went into the building. They quietly made their way to the front. But as soon as they stepped into the dining area, they both let out a startled gasp and dove behind the bar.

“I don’t think they saw us.” Joe whispered after a moment of silence.

“What the hell are they?” Ken’s eyes were still wide from the surprise at what he saw.

They transmuted into Bird Style, just to be safe.

Cautiously, they peeked over the top of the bar to see ten large animals lying around the room. Each was not quite 4 ½ feet long and had reddish-brown fur that became yellowish-brown on its underbelly. Their heads looked a little like a guinea pig’s. Any one of those barrel-shaped bodies could have easily topped the scales at 150 pounds. They had slightly webbed feet and vestigial tails. Their hind legs were a little bit longer than their front legs.

And they all wore a modified Galactor henchman uniform.

“So why aren’t they attacking?” Ken breathed.

“I think they’re asleep.”

“Aren’t they cool?” Jinpei seemed to yell from behind the Eagle and Condor, though he was only using his normal tone. He was quickly shushed and pulled down behind the bar.

“Cool?!” the Condor hissed, “Didn’t you notice the uniforms?”

“Well, yeah.” Jinpei replied, his eyes dropping a bit, “But the only time we’d see a capybara in Utoland is at the zoo. We’ve got ten of them right here!”

“Ten that work for Galactor.” Ken pointed out.

Joe had had enough. He stood, hopped over the bar, and strode up to the nearest capybara. “Nap time’s over.” he said, kicking the rodent’s side.

The enormous rodent yawned, opened its eyes, and sleepily regarded the human before him. “You the Condor?” he finally said.

“Yeah.”

“Wow. You scare the pellets out of a lot of the folks back at base. Look, could we do this in about ten or fifteen minutes? The flight from South Ameris was really rough, and we’re all incredibly jet-lagged...” The capybara fell asleep before he could say anything else.

Joe stood there, not sure what to do. His instinct told him to beat the crap out of this new batch of Galactor goons, but he doubted any of them would even notice until they woke up.

“Well,” Ken said as he came out from behind the bar, “I suppose we could get Ryu, call Jun back, put these – uh, guys? – in cuffs, and have an ISO transport here to haul them to a detention facility by the time they decide to wake up.”

Jinpei had doubled over in laughter. “This is rich!” he cried, “The mighty Condor beat by a bunch of sleeping fuzz buckets!”
~ Table of Contents ~
[Report This]