Ghosts of the past part III- Utoland by Ebonyswanne
[Reviews - 1] - Table of Contents - [Report This]

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +

Assembling on the Phoenix they all waited for the good Chief Anderson to pop up on the monitors. Instead they got Zark.

“Hello there, team this is 7Zark7 calling from Centre Neptune.” He chirped brimming over in excitement. Jason rolled his eyes, with a jab from Mark for him to hold his tongue and thoughts.

“We know who you are.” The Condor snickered. “Cut the crap and—"

“Hello Zark.” Mark greeted him louder than normal cutting through Jason’s snide remarks.

They all waited for an order to go into outer space, but none of it came.

Zark proceeded to deliver in his own over the top fashion their current assignment. Once it was all out, and the robotic image was off the screen. Jason couldn’t contain it any longer.

What… All dressed up in our birdstyles and no action?” He exclaimed, thrusting his arms under his blue mantle, folding them. “You have got to be joking, another cooky assignment babysitting a politician. “

“It’s our orders Jason, civilian uniforms, and staying sharp.” Mark shot him a severe glare.

 The Condor didn’t bother to hide his disdain. “Senator Kane is doing an election rally, he’s a target for Spectra.”

“We could die of boredom before Spectra does anything. Tiny what do you think, if went to the amusement park we’d get more action.”

The Owl blushed wildly, and turned away, trying to keep out of it.

Her own distractions, of thinking about Jamie, her date, were keeping her silent in at her console. Watching the sweeping motion of the radar blip it was like the pace of her heart. Trying to bring it all under control, she was softly humming a happy tune.

Mark shot her a questioning glance, catching his eye, her blush deepened, sheepishly, she tried to contain her feelings. A secret hand signal indicated he was going to ask her about it later.

“Ahhh.” Keyop saw the whole thing, turning cheeky eyes and a snide grin on her. “Moon eyes for Marky.”

“Ahh.” Caught off guard. She shot up in her seat, faulting with her words as she tried to deny only made it worse, the kid was milking it.

“Well.” Gathering her wit together at last.” Better to be mooneye’s than a silly kid like you.” She shot back, placing her hands on her hips. Mark winked, grinning wildly, he turned back to his command station, so she couldn’t see his face.

It was start of the Swallows taunts, he wasn’t buying she didn’t have a crush on Mark at all. She wasn’t giving more fuel by mentioning she was going on her first date. She had to come up some creative ways to put him in his place.

Arriving at the rally, they did their usual observations of the dense crowds. People waited to hear him speak, his supporters cheered and a some booed, the mission was completely uneventful.

“Jason was right, there isn’t even a protester out of line. What threat was the Chief looking for?” Mark shook his head.

“Nothing stands out to me.” She agreed.

“How did you go?” He finally asked.

“Oh, fine.” She replied, unable to contain her excitement.

“Spit it out Prin, you’re glowing like campfire.” Mark raised a curious brow, shoving his hands into his pockets.

“Well, he asked me on a date, I said yes.” She gushed. “I like him, I hope… well....I hope all…turns out…”

“I see.” Mark held some of his usual caution in his response. “You barely know him.”

“I know, but… I feel something here, and I want to give it a chance to be something.” Doubt played on her mind, hoping it wasn’t too good to be true.

Mark studied her, and he appeared to come to some kind of conclusion.

“Please don’t go telling the others, I just want to enjoy it.” She admitted. “Go one my date with Jamie…without Keyops input and Jason’s threats of disembowelling him...if he steps out of line.”

“I promise.” He warmed, shoving his hands into his pockets. “He steps out of line with you, he has me to answer not Jason.”

“Thank Mark, but I can take care of myself.” She hinted.

“I’m sure you can.” He said, as they headed back to rendezvous point to return him after all the officials had left in their armoured vehicles.

“It’s his birthday in a few days.” She added. “Jun let me be the one to bring him a birthday cake, since they’re not home. I have to prepare, get into Jill’s kitchen…”

“You bake a mean chocolate and raspberry cake Prin, I’m sure he’ll love it.” Mark was sincere. He loved her layered chocolate and raspberry cake with thick creamy frosting, and often asked for seconds when she baked it- The few times he ate sweets.

“I have go shopping.” She declared. “ A real dress, and…oh… ingredients, and present…what should I buy him?”

“You in a pretty dress and a cake, he’ll be smitten if not already.” He stopped walking for a moment, becoming serious, arranging his facial features to his normal stoic manner. “Look, I know I haven’t talked much about my connections with him, and-“

“About time, I was looking for a bar.” Jason cut in sarcastically. “I missed my afternoon nap from the amount of action I’ve had today. Worn out from looking after kids.”

“Prreedoopp. Not a kid.” Keyop growled.

“You act like one.” Princess sweetly smiled. “Kid.”

“Let’s go home.” Tiny drawled. “I have a few burgers waiting for me.”

“Stop.” Princess sighted a screen. “I’m confused, it looks like we were on the wrong detail.”

“What the hell.” Jason strolled up the screen as urgent news updates flashed across it. 

The groomed presenter spoke the words that would change the federation bringing suspicion and fear in their midst- The Federation President Harris died of natural causes in the Federation presidential home today…. Speculation of Spectran spies trying to undermine the federation…. Medical experts are currently working to rule out alien involvement… more to come…

There was, a few seconds of reporters trying to get a word from Chief Anderson as he left an ISO building. Overanxious reporters accosted him as he ran for his car.

“The protection of his successors is now my priority.” He stated. “The Federation security is always my first concern. G-Force-“

A reporter cut in, asking about the mysterious team of five, a hand went up, he was refusing to answer any more questions.

Sounds like your shopping trip will be delayed.” He whispered.You could still pull it together in time for him birthday… I know you will.”

Princess folded her arms.

“Chief needs us, let’s go.” Mark said louder, as he turned and ran, followed by the rest of them.

 Over the next few days, Chief Andersons position was challenged, and hastily Senator Kane rose in power, into the Federation presidential office overnight. He reassured the public Chief Anderson was the perfect man for the job.

He held high confidence in Andersons character, and abilities to protect the Galaxy. 

~ Table of Contents ~
[Report This]