When Lightning Strikes by Ebonyswanne
[Reviews - 10] - Table of Contents - [Report This]

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +

Ken jumped off his bike about a block from the club. Walking briskly up the street he had the feeling of De jà vous wash over him as he passed the street vendor again. "Hey man, are you back ta see the ladies again!" The man called out, his thick unusual accent made him stand out in the crowd.

Ken decided to stop for a minute to talk to him; he went to his pocket for some loose change to buy a Hot Dog from him, fortunately he found some.

Ken smiled, and looked at the colourful crocheted béret the older man was wearing tonight. "Where did you get the hat from? "Ken asked him looking at it for a moment.

The guy flashed him a toothy bright white smile that contrasted against his dark chocolate brown skin."Jamacia man! Dats were I'm from. "Ken noted the suddenly thickening of the mans accent and the exaggeration of his words.

" Mahh names Cole...Ma liked that guy Cole Porter, and so she named me afdah ‘im. Not real good at playing Reggae though... you must be a local...I have lived here for a while now though."

Cole's friendly nature was infectious, and Ken found himself liking him a lot.

"On tonight's menu we have a choice...Traditional Ameris Hot Dog or an Aussie Snag on a roll with BBQ sauce and onion. Your choice...I like to call this menu... North' n' South." He flashed his bright white grin again as he waited for Ken's order.

"I'll try one of those Aussie Dogs...ahhh snag on a roll...whatever!" Ken decided since he had the Ameris dog the previous night.

Cole handed Ken his Aussie Snag on a roll, and he nodded thanks as he went to take a bit out of it, as Ken was about to walk away Cole started talking to him again.

"There is a bouncer at da door called Joe." Ken stopped and turned at the mention of Joe's name. You look like a reliable kinda guy." Ken raised an interested eyebrow to keep Cole talking.

"Well when you see him at the door. He's the tall one with steely grey eyes and shaggy brown hair, hard looking guy, can you tell him that the dog...the Blue Heeler he is interested in is back up for sale. I have trouble gettin' away from here!" Cole flashed his teeth, at Ken and keep turning is sausages and onions on his cooker.

"Yeah sure. I'll see if he's there...Tall guy, shaggy brown hair." Ken repeated the description to seem like he didn't know Joe and headed for the queue into the club.

It took him ages to get the front door, and there was not much information to be gained there while he waited to get in, mostly young men hoping to get some action with a dancer.

Ken had no money for the cover charge, but Joe pretended to take some from him and just nodded indifferently as Ken walked through the door.

Ken would have to deliver the message later; he was pushed along by a group of eager men behind him.

He was certain that Cole was a resistance member, and there was a code relating to Count Egobossler in what he asked Ken to relay to Joe.

Had Joe spoken to him about him being with the resistance he wondered?

Ryu walked past and quickly slipped some money into his hand so Ken decided to go and get a beer and find a table. Hopefully close to a potential Galactor captain having to much of a good time.

One dancer was half way through her routine and he began to wonder if Jun had been up yet. Ryu he made eye contact with Ryu again from across the room and he indicated were Ken should sit.

There was an empty table near the back close to a booth of rowdy patrons, on had a Galactor uniform on. A few years ago they wouldn't be seen in public like that. He thought. It was likely the rest were Galactor too.

So he casually sat near by and then a few moments later Jun came on and his attention went straight to her.

Her music was different this time. "Diamonds are a girl's best friend."

A kiss on the hand may be quite continental, but diamonds are a girl's best friend...

God she's so beautiful. He thought in awe at the sight of her in a long skin tight black Jacket, a diamond choker around her long delicate neck and black fish net stockings and diamante covered strappy stilettos, she sparkled like a diamond he thought and smiled as he rested his chin on his hand and watched her.

Now that he was over the initial shock of seeing her dressed like this he began to appreciate her in a way he had not before.

He knew he was supposed to be trying to over hear the conversation behind and he could still hear them talking, but it was mainly about the stunning woman dancing on stage, they apparently had come especially to see Madame Honeydew.

She had now removed her jacket to reveal a hot pink satin sequin striped corset trimmed with black lace a small hot pink G-string with sequins on it and suspenders on the fish nets.

HOT was all he could think of as his insides turned to mush, and his heart running a marathon. He fought to maintain control of feelings, after all Jun is Joe's girl- he had to ignore anything he felt for her beyond friendship, even if it killed him.

Ken didn't like the comments from the men behind him though, but he could not take his eyes of her as she revealed her body to the men in the room.

A quick glace at Joe told him what Joe's real feelings about her provocative dancing. He could see Joe was watching the men close to the stage and how she came down very close to them so they could almost touch her, men full of lust reached out to try and touch her bare breasts, and he saw what crossed Joe's eyes.

It was pure jealousy, his eye's darkened and his mouth drew into a flat line.

Joe was not focusing on what Jun was actually doing with her dance moves, as she tried to get his attention then she made brief eye contact with Ken, and with a fluid dance move she indicated to a dark corner close to the stage.

Ken followed her arm and beyond it to see a man with blue coloured skin with a sleazy grin plastered on his face watching her with great interest.

This man has to be Count Egobossler. Ken thought. No wonder he was referred to as the Blue Heeler by the Resistance.

Ken tried to catch Joe or Ryu's eye in that moment. Ryu must have been back at the door and he mentally sent a message out to Joe to snap out of it, and focus on what they were here for, that's when he decided to get up and move in Joe's direction.

He kept an eye on Jun as he made his way through the crowd, seeing if she gave any more signals.

He admired her even more in those moments this time for her professionalism, she kept control over her emotions and she was able to signal to him without the communicators and was on full alert to her environment.

He finally reached Joe after pushing past a crowd of young drunks who were talking about what they would like to do with Madame Honeydew. None of the conversations involved just a kiss...

Ken cringed at the remarks but he knew it was all wind, she was not a whore and she could kick their arses anytime if she needed to.

He finally reached Joes side, Joe acted like he wasn't there Ken was just another patron on his way to the bar. His brother's eyes were still on Jun, and the hard look on his features seemed like they were set in concrete.

"Hey you must be that guy Joe." He said like he was meeting him for the first time.

Joe responded at first with a grunt, Jun was just finishing her dance and was walking off the stage. Joe finally turned his eyes to Ken.

"That's me what's it to ya." He asked Ken in his deep voice over the noise of the crowd.

"Well that you know that guy Cole that serves the hot dogs out the front?" Ken asked him.

"Yeah I know Cole, everyone around here knows Cole." He replied casually looking away.

"Well he asked me to pass a message onto you...Something about the Blue Heeler dog you wanted to buy was up for sale again."

A casual smile came to Joe's face as he replied. "I'll have to look into then, when I go out to the door again later I'll have to go and say thanks to him. And ahhh...thanks pal for letting me know." He finished and walked away from Ken.

"No worries, I like Cole...he serves good Hot Dogs." Ken called after him with a smile and headed for the place that Jun indicated too.

It was close to the men's room so he made way there so he would not get anyone's suspicions up if they were watching the patrons.

The blue guy was gone, and Ken went into the Men's room for a few moments to see if he was in there, but there were only men lined up beside each other who had to way to much to drink trying to let some of it out at the troughs, some were not so lucky and were throwing it up instead.

Ken walked out disgusted and he tried to see if he could spot him again, but the blue guy was no where to be seen, Ken only hoped Jun got something more on him and why he was here from her position out the back of the club.

Half an hour later Jun was back out on stage again, this time she was back wearing an electric blue coat, this time as she stripped off her costume was a sequin covered bra and G-string suspenders were all in electric blue, the fish net stocking were black but the strappy stilettos sparkled with blue sequins and the song she was dancing to was the upbeat version of "Electric Blue." by Icehouse.

If a boy had a chance, a chance with someone like you, are you gonna break his heart?

She cast a dazzling smile and a wink in Ken's direction as they made eye contact once more, and then she giggled. He gave her a smile back and even chuckled at the humour he saw in it. He watched as she maintained her posture and making the reaction part of her act.

A few hours later and they still had no more sighting of him, the club was about to close and Ken decide to leave.

Let him cry for the moon?

Are you hiding somewhere behind those eyes?

Joe was going to wait for Jun who was finishing up out the back of the club changing after doing a third performance that night, her popularity demanded it, and Ken could see why, Ryu had left a short while before Ken.

They needed to talk about the presence of Count Egobossler there, but they would have to do it when they all got back to the hide out.

Ken yawned- he was tired so he decided to have some rest before Joe and Jun arrived home. He went to his room leaving the door a jar so he would hear them come in.

Ryu was already in bed and he figured they would be all better after a few hours sleep anyway.

* * * *

He woke up by the sound of tense voices in the common room.

"You didn't have to get so close to those drunken goons. "Joe hissed."And what was that last outfit for your final performance...? You're better than that Jun...you take more off than some of the other girls do...Next time keep you're bra on." Joe was saying in a low heated voice.

"I was doing what I'm supposed to do! "Jun whispered harshly. "We went over this in the car Joe...Next time I'll walk back here next time if keep this up!" Jun's tone low and deadly; Ken had not ever heard her like this before. "Don't you get it; if I hold back and act like a wooden doll- they would fire me for a start..." Jun's voice was low and angry. "My boss ordered me to take my bra off for a very important customer...if you were paying attention to my signals you would have seen who, instead you just stood there seething."

"You're my girl Jun...remember that, so act like you're my girl...we agreed-" He could almost hear undertones of desperation in Joe's angry voice.

"You don't own me Joe...Do you think...that I would go behind your back..."Jun's hurt evident." Joe you have more dancers trying to get you in their bed...I've seen how they throw themselves at you and flirt, and you just lap it up-" She threw back at him her own pain driving her anger. Ken could mentally picture her stance, with her hands on her hips and fire glowing in her green eyes.

"I don't like it when you dance so seductively for men...I know you have too in that club-" he started, Joe sounded like he was at the end of his tither.

"Do you think I'm a whore Joe...because that is what you are indicating." Jun shouted. Ken pictured her shaking her dark hair, and Joe standing there with his arms folded glaring at Joe, as he heard Jun continue. "We have been over this many times over the past few months...anytime another man looks at me sideways or you get possessive of me. That was before I started working at that club."

Silence followed for a moment before Jun spoke again, she was still fired up, but exhaustion had crept into her voice now and she too sounded desperate for something from Joe. "Why Joe... After all that we've been through together, why don't you trust me?"

By this time Ken was at the door of his bedroom, yanking up his jeans and without even taking the time to pull on his shirt or shoes, he was out of the room in time to see Joe with his raised as if he was about to strike her with his anger.

Jun just stood there looking him straight in the eye challenging him to do it.

"Hi Jun and Joe- So what's going on?" He threw in trying to be casual as Joe instantly lowered his hand, he was trying to rearrange his features as Ken walked up to them, trying to get his jeans belt done up.

"Ken." Joe said flatly, he still coming down from his raging temper, and gave Ken a side glance that sent Galactor's running.

"Do you have something to tell me from tonight..."Ken had to break up this tension, he tried hard to put aside in his mind and in his guts causing him to take a deep breath at what he had just seen transpire between Joe and Jun almost coming to blows.

"Yes I do." Jun responded to the question that Ken asked giving a quick glace at Joe that was more like a glare.

"Like about the Blue Heeler?" He asked as they were both calming down a bit now.

Ken was still trying to understand how Joe could be so accepting of Jun working as a stripper the day before, only to show now that he really hated it, what else was Joe brushing off and putting a mask over, Ken wondered.

"Jun that was good work signalling from the stage...Joe did you see it?" Ken asked his head whipped around to look straight at Joe and he waited for his answer, because Ken knew he was not paying attention and was still reeling from him not being on the job when he should have been.

"I..."Joe started.

"I didn't think so. Maybe the blue outfit later might have got your attention." Ken finished with a trace of sarcasm still looking him in the eye.

"Jun fill us in." Ken was all business now and he could see that it was needed, fortunately Ryu was walking sleepily down the hall and Dr.Pandora was behind him.

Ken took a seat on the couch and the others fell in, Jun sitting next to him on the other side of the couch and Joe found a corner to lean against and cross his arms. Ryu and Dr.Pandora sat at the table.

Jun started her report.

"I spotted him at the time I signalled you and Joe the first time." She said quietly. "I don't know where he came from, but when my first dance was nearly over he disappeared again...He didn't come back for the second act." She looked up at them all and her tired green eyes were all business.

"The group who were near the stage were drunk but one of the mentioned a base...in the mountains near the Himalayas, it seems it is new, the man boasting had just been promoted and was being sent there. He described the location to his friend...I guess he figured I wouldn't hear him or he was to drunk to realize what he was doing...Is it worth checking out commander?" Jun addressed him formally.

"Yeah Jun it is...I'll look into the location in a few hours...I'll take the Cessna for a flight and see if there is any damage to her before we need her for some action...good work Jun." Ken repeated more for Joe than anyone else in the room, he made eye contact with the Condor and he knew Joe understood him.

She looked hesitant for a moment, and then she looked at Joe again briefly before reaching for a small purse she had with her. She pulled a small velvet blue box out of the purse, and then she opened it.

"That's impressive." Dr.Pandora spoke for the first time as she went over to look at the contents in the small blue box.

"Apparently a gift from an admirer." Jun spoke casually being mindful of any reaction from Joe. This time he just stayed in his spot as Ken moved closer to take a look at the set of Diamond and Ceylon blue Sapphire drop earrings. A very expensive gift Ken noted.

"Egobossler?" Ken questioned her, and from the corner of his eye he could see her nodding.

"He was there for a moment when I came back off stage the first time. He didn't say much really, just that I am his favourite dancer, and he would like to get to know me better when he has more time. He left after that."

"I didn't see him come back into the club, did you guys see him come in or go?" Ken looked at Joe and Ryu who both shook their heads.

"What about Cole, I'm guessing he is on our side." Ken noted to them.

The Owl looked more awake now as he smirked at Ken."Damn straight he is!... a good man and sharp but he didn't see anything when I was able to ask him... and nope. I don't know how he did it." Ryu shrugged his shoulders in confusion and looked at Joe who was not talking.

"Then how did he know he was there in the first place I wonder." Ken was now talking to Ryu.

"He mentioned that an idiot told a mate that their exalted leader was likely to drop in so to be on his best behaviour...he guess that meant Egobossler."

Joe just stood there with a stony expression on his face. "I'm going for a walk." He gruffly stated as he abruptly unfolded his arms and walked up the stairs and left the shack, Jun's eyes followed him brimming with tears.

"That's it guys, go get some rest." He quietly told the remaining people in the room..

She remained for a moment with him after the other two had departed and she closed the box and kept in her hands.

"I...I guess I should go talk to him." She whispered softly as a tear escaped down her cheek.

"You look tired Jun...go get some sleep and talk to him in the morning, after you both have time to think it over, you'll both sort it out I'm sure." He reasoned as she gave him a small empty smile.

"Jun...do you love him?" Ken was not sure why he asked her that question, but it seemed like the right one at that moment, she didn't say anything as she stared at her hands.

She looked up with tears rolling down her cheeks now. "Ask me that again tomorrow Ken." He face turned to stone, and she stood up fast and almost bolted down the hall closing the door to the room she shared with Joe a little to hard.

Lovers quarrel. He thought as he got up and stretch his legs.

Well they were close to a beach here, and Ken suddenly needed the smell of salt air to clear his thoughts before he could even think about sleeping again.

Ken walked up to the top of the stairs and out of the dark shack to be washed with a full silvery moon casting its subdued light on a narrow path that lead to the beach.

The path was not well used and had become overgrown from neglect so Ken had to pick his way through the bushes that sprung in his way as went, the distant sound of waves crashing on the sand told him he was headed in the right direction.

Ken didn't know if he wanted to run into Joe at that moment, he was still reeling at the image of Joe and Jun fighting, and her stormy green eyes as she watched him walk away after she showed them the earrings.

It bothered him that Count Egobossler had singled her like that, the last thing they wanted was for Jun to be recruited by Galactor, or worse.

His bare feet hit the smooth loose sand as he felt the fine grains go in between his toes as he walked towards the surf.

When he reached the hard cool sand of the tide mark he had an idea of doing something irrational, something he had done since the war began. Yeah he thought, why not...so he stripped off his Jeans and briefs and ran into the black white capped surf.

The salty water was not very cold, but it was enough to wake him up totally, and his senses came to life as he dove into the black wave coming towards him, he surfaced just in time to dive into the next one that was about to curl over his head.

God this felt so good. It was all he could think about as he focused on diving into shimmering black waves rolling towards him.

He lost himself for while in the ocean and though of nothing else as he swam in the black water highlighted only by the silvery full moon, nothing that was except for a pair of stormy green eyes with a touch of sadness in them.

Images of her ran through his mind as waited for the right wave to take him into shore.

As he watch the wave that was his ride start to form its crest before it began to show the white peaks of it reaching momentum. He began to swim fast to catch the wave a he saw her winking at him from the stage, and giggle as she began her routine in her bright blue stage costume.

He moved his body with the wave like a torpedo as he body surfed the wave as it headed into the shore, and it finally lost its momentum as the water became shallow and went flat and he left it as it gave way and then walked against the pull of the current out of the water as the remnants of the wave he caught in went back out to sea.

He looked at his arms and how the moonlight made the water glisten on his skin as he brushed it off. He looked up to see a shadowy figure standing near his clothes.

"They arrest people for streaking you know." Joe called out to him in an attempt at humour, his mood seemed a little lighter now.

Ken gave him a small light friendly punch in the arm as he grabbed his clothes and began to put them on even though he was still wet. The Condor shoved him back to make him lose his balance as he put a leg into his jeans.

"I'd have joined you Ken, but I didn't want to give you the wrong idea about us." Joe smirked as Ken did up his fly, the Condor had his sense of humour back at least for now.

"Don't flatter yourself Joe, you're not my type...No feminine curves or boobs on you pal." Ken joked as they began to walk back up the beach.

They walked in silence of a moment before Joe broke it. "I wouldn't have hit her out of anger like that. I was angry but-" Joe blurted out and the abruptly stopped walking and his face darked in the moonlight as he looked at Ken.

"Joe, why did you even threaten to then? That was not a move to discipline a fighter because they disobeyed orders...that was personal." Ken couldn't help himself, Joe brought it up and Ken wanted him to know that it disturbed him.

"Ken it's not easy to watch her like that, I just lose all focus...I can't explain it. I get jealous of other men seeing what only I should..." He let out a long breath as Ken looked back at him.

"Maybe, if I was in your position I'd probably feel the same. "Ken stopped for a moment to gather his thoughts. "But you should give Jun more credit. She tougher than she looks you know..." He stopped for a moment to look at the Condor. "You should know you're been in battles with her before."

Kens voice became quieter as he spoke things he really did not want to highlight. "She loves you and you know she is a loyal person...right now your doing a brilliant job of driving her away." Joe had a distant look on his face as he continued to talk.

"It took her a long time to get over you when you vanished, and then I'm not sure if she ever really did... then Jinpei and Dr.Nambu being murdered by Galactor... We got together after that... I needed to protect her...I do love her Ken...I do." He finished with an almost desperate look on his face as he looked out over the ocean, as if it would answer him.

"I can tell that...you could go and apologize to her for being such a moody bastard when she needed you. That's a good place to start making up." Ken offered to him.

Joe just grimaced and walked towards the path. "What's wrong with an apology Joe...you can be wrong sometimes you know." He called out after him as he threw his hands into the air in mild frustration at the moody Condor.

Joe just grunted as Ken followed him on the path, being mindful of his bare feet with the loose under growth of weeds as he kept up with Joes fast pace.

Ken grabbed him on the shoulder and made him stop.

"Ken...there is more going on here than you know, we have our differences Jun and I...just leave it...I'll think of something to make it up to her."

Ken stood looking at the back of the departing Condor in frustration. Joes pride could overshadow his common sense sometimes, and never felt he had to apologize for anything.

Ten minutes later after he was back into the hideout and he had a quick shower to wash the salt of his body he was to exhaust to think about the events that night as he climbed into his bed when sleep finally claimed him.

~ Table of Contents ~
[Report This]