Reconciliation by Ebonyswanne
[Reviews - 16] - Table of Contents - [Report This]

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +

 

Walking back to the lobby she waited for over an hour for him, to be told by a guard that he'd left her message saying he had returned to the hotel.

About half an hour later she finally made it and headed up to his room. She was taken aback by a familiar man dressed in a Marine uniform and another officer leaving Ken's hotel room.

The conversation caught her attention. Quickly Jun pretended to be going into a near by room turning her back to them, using the training Dr Nambu drilled into them for years to overhear what they were talking about without them noticing her.

"He's coming along very well...it won't be long before he's back to normal..." The other male officer said, smiling.

"Not long, then he'll be very useful to us again...He looks good already and I hear he's working hard on his fitness. Gatchaman was always meant to serve the Earth and beyond it...He knows his duty as I outlined it to him...He won't let us down." The Marine Commander kept his eyes straight ahead as he walked passed her. Jun was glad she didn't wear her uniform any more- her long black winter coat disguised her as she leaned in closer to the doorway and pretended to fiddle with her room card.

"He'll agree to it...that's what I'm telling the head of command of outer planet missions. Ken Washio won't let us down." The officer's confidence grated on Jun.

"It's a minimum of five years service, but we can count on him extending it if we want him too."

Ken was nothing but a tool to them to be used where ever it suited them, she thought, feeling livid by this new piece of information and the casual way the Marine commander spoke about him. And being Ken...closing her eyes she fought back the painful tears of reality. Being Ken he couldn't refuse them, the call of duty would take him away from her like had once before this time it would likely be forever.

When would he break the news to her she wondered. That he was leaving again soon this time for five years.

Closing her eyes she prepared herself like she did years ago to play second best to his calling to protect the Earth. Jun had accepted that fate a long time ago, yet it still hurt her knowing the man she loved would always be just out of reach.

Steeling herself as she walked into the room her eyes fell on Ken sitting at a small desk in the corner of the room looking over a contract- he smiled warmly in her direction. He looked happy, she thought. Maybe he had more purpose in life to serve in the military than the offer she wanted to make to him. They become partners in her new business, she remembered the way they talked about it together, and how in sync about it they are in the way it should be...

"Hi," She said pulling up a chair so could sit facing him.

"Hi," He replied warmly. "I missed you in lobby, but I ran into Kamo and he said you would likely head back here, lets order some room service." His eyes searched hers like he was looking for something.

"Sounds good, what do you want?" She asked scanning the menu.

"Your choice." He said handing her the phone. Quickly she ordered fries and hamburgers for the two of them.

She tried to smile, but she felt awkward when she saw the piece of paper sitting near by. "Terms of service," it read, she knew what that meant. It was an official document outlining Ken's future missions on a planet called Riga.

Ken sat the piece of paper he held in his hand down on top of the other one and reached over and placed his hands on her knee's.

"Is there something wrong...something you wish to tell me?" His face became concerned as he spoke.

 Yes, she screamed internally. Don't go...stay here with me, I love you, I need you...she knew she couldn't, she'd never know why he really stayed and eventually he would resent her for holding onto him so tightly.  

"Joe's signed up to go." She said frankly as she stood up and began to pacing the room. "I'm just a little on edge about it. Joe's leaving for Ameris with Jason and he won't be back after that since the ship leaves in a few days to take him to his new post. Its feels so..." She stopped, not wanting to voice the emptiness she felt in saying goodbye to them all one by one with in weeks. It was enough hard to be soon seeing Jinpei and Ryu off at his mariner the as soon as they arrived home from the conference. "Well we've all be together so long it's not easy with us going our separate ways. But we have to follow our own paths in life." She confessed sadly. Ken sat back in his chair staring at her the whole time she spoke, studying her face.

"Do you know about my offer...to train new recruits on Riga?" His eyes narrowed and he waited for her response.

"I heard on the grapevine...it sounds like an offer too good to refuse." Jun squared her shoulders, readying herself for him to say he's accepted it.

"I've had an offer to for a command post...well second in command." Jun baited.

"Oh, and who is the commanding officer?" Ken's eyes narrowed.

"Not you...its on another planet. Far away, and it was for five years." She stopped pacing to go and answer the door to take the room service tray.

She returned and sat it on the corner of the small table.

"So, what are you going to do?" He asked, and waited.

Jun felt a sharp pang when the contract caught her eye again. "I can't go Ken. They don't really want me, its just a way to keep me from you. And you must do what you're your heart tells you..."She looked directly into his ocean blue eyes. " I know its to defend Earth and help the settlers. Even in peace time there's a need for Gatchaman."

Ken's looked away from her and picked up his burger and began eating it. Jun did the same and for a while they ate in silence.

"You say there's a need for me..." Ken adjusted his seating position and became thoughtful. "Are you prepared to let me do this, even if it mean's I'll be gone for years." He picked up a chip and began chomping on it.

"I don't own you Ken...I'll always be waiting in Utoland running a restaurant..."She smiled warmly knowing she spoke the truth, she'd spend a lifetime waiting for him if she had too, because she loved him with all her heart and no other man could ever fill his shoes in her life.

"Ken I'm resigning from the ISO." She announced.

"I knew you would eventually." Ken sat up straighter and picked up the contact and read it over again. "I just knew..."He breathed the words.

"It's a good offer- but I value your opinion on it." He said quietly, handing her the contract to read.

"If it's what you want Ken, take it up..." Jun said insisted reading over the contract and part about the massive pay pack and good working conditions. They had his life planned out for the next five years with a review of the conditions at the end of it for an extended ten years if he chose to accept it. Ken would financially set for life after just a few years of service.

Ken remained silent. Jun changed the topic- she couldn't face talking about Ken's new career move anymore, accepting their offer would mean he'd be leaving sooner than Joe.

"I'm meeting Matt, Natasha and Mark in the same park as before when I go home. I know it's been hard for you since you came out of the coma. Not being allowed to leave G-Town...but when you return, come if you can, they'd love to see you." Jun said, Ken gently picked up her hands into his and began massaging her fingers, listening to her talk.

"It's been a rocky road for us...all the way...will it always be like this? Is this what you want Jun." His voice became a whisper and he let go of her hands. She could tell he wanted to say something, but he was holding back.

"No...its not, but I don't really have a say in it." She said hoarsely. "Are you coming to the meeting with them?" Jun asked trying not to focus on the last three years of turmoil in their lives by changing the topic. "It's the same day Joe's leaving for Ameris."

"Yes, I'll be there, I have a few things to do after Joe leaves and then I'll meet you at the park." He promised. "And stop changing the topic."

"I'm flying back tonight to Utoland Ken...there's no point in staying here...I have to go and see Hannah my assistant tomorrow mid morning. She's organised a workman to give me some quotes..." Jun lied, but she did intend to have her organise it when she landed. "I have to see a few more this afternoon and tonight I need to go over my budget...and then later tomorrow afternoon I'll have interviews for potential staff..." Jun updated him on her coming days ahead.

"Sounds like you have it all planned out." Ken picked up the contracts and walked briskly towards the door just as his room mate entered. "I've made up my mind already about this...I have a meeting with Kamo and Commander Regan in half an hour...I have go I have lot to do in a short period of time."

"So do you it seems." She sighed closing her eyes she remembered the teddy bear sitting in the corner of his bedroom in his quarters at G-Town mentally she looked over at the small battered but well loved ginger teddy bear called Cecil staring at her with innocent black eyes. She walked over and picked him up remembering a time when had given her comfort when she first found out she was pregnant with their son. "Take good care of him won't you..."

"Huh?" The young officer said staring at her.

Quickly Jun rose from her chair and bolted out of the room to go and pack her bags.

"Hey sis..." Jinpei said grinning as she ran into the room and over to her suit case.

"We're going too! We figured we have to finish fitting out the boat and since we're not going into space...well we're wasting time." Ryu said eagerly packing his bag.

"Well, its looks like we can all fly back together." She said picking up her small bag they all left the room to check out and return to Utoland.

 * * * *

Ken slowed his pace on his way to the Commands suite. His heart felt heavy from the thoughts running through his mind. He felt torn between his love for Jun, his soul mate and call for duty that would tear him away from her again. Has it become a habit? He questioned. To run at the sound of trumpets and the need to serve others without hardly a second thought to why I'm doing it?

A crisp knock at the door of the suite was answered by a guard who ushered him into the room.

"Mr Washio." Commander Saban greeted him and indicated he sit in the chair opposite him. "I've been expecting you..."

"Sir." Ken greeted him respectfully and sat down.

He extended his hand for the contract. Ken didn't move.

"I have a few questions that I needed answered before I give you this." Ken cut to the chase, he had no time for chit chat and he stood up again and leaned against the closest window. He always felt more in control standing than he did sitting down.

The Commander raised an eyebrow, the only indication he was surprised Ken wasn't bouncing into the room ready to do as he wanted and follow his commands.

"Why is Jun being posted on another planet? I was promised she'd be my second in command." Ken glared at the man- they lied to him and hoped he wouldn't find out until after he'd signed up. Knowing he wouldn't back out of a done deal.

"I know nothing about it Ken, It could be that she requested her own command, you can hardly blame her since she was a member of your team." Commander Saban's cool tone grated on Ken, he was a man used to getting his own way. The man knew full well what the deal is they had in mind for her- did they think he was stupid? Maintaining control of his anger Ken looked at the contract.

"You expect me to sign this? With these kinds of lies-"Ken said in a hardened tone.

"We know you won't have much of a choice anyway Ken Washio. What if she fell pregnant to you in that time? From what I know she's quite fertile and I doubt you'll turn her out of your bed. We don't like fraternizing amongst a tight knit group of soldiers...and the risks are too great in outer space on a planet we know nothing about for pregnant women." Saban's contempt made Ken sigh in disgust.

"Is that all you care about? What happened to equal standing for all members of team. That's how we worked so well, Jun is one smart woman and a brilliant fighter...Is that how you view women under your command? There to service the men...Besides what makes you think-"Ken's angry rant was cut off by General Saban's smooth reply.

"We know about your affair with her a few years ago...and your little mistake, it was a casual fling between you, how could anything serious come of it since you're both bound by your duty...she's a pretty girl I can see why you want her in you're bed...fortunately it came to nothing since the abortion clinic had her name registered so we assume she did the right thing. We were able to have it erased from records. But if she didn't do something about it then the Science Ninja Team would have lost a member of its team. That's something I can't afford to happen a million miles from Earth... If you know what I mean. "His tone hinted of something that made Ken's stomach churn, the more the commander spoke the more Ken came to dislike the Commander. " Dr Nambu couldn't keep all of his secrets from us...after he died a few came out that I found that very interesting...The Earth still needs you more than ever in this coming new age. I know Gatchaman that you'll do what's right." Finishing his speech the Commander poured himself a cup of coffee from his urn, and offered Ken one. Ken shook his head. The conversation was leaving a sour taste in his mouth, and coffee would only make it worse.

"You're so very right..." Ken said, hinting at his real feeling through his subconscious fighter's stance. "I have no choice..." Ken said, he couldn't believe what he was about to do, but he knew he would have no peace in his life unless he did it.

"I need a pen..." He said. "And a piece of paper..."

A satisfied smirk crossed the Commanders features. "I knew you'd see the light Ken Washio...it's in your blood to be loyal to those who need you...and we need you."

"In that...you're so right." Ken said sadly he took the pen, picked up the contract...from this moment on his life would be changing forever and there would be no going back.

~ Table of Contents ~
[Report This]