Alpha & Omega by Candi Gomez
[Reviews - 3] - Table of Contents - [Report This]

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Alex Vohnyer and Emiko belong to me. 

Vohnyer is 57.  He's sponsored the KNT thru the ISO for nearly 15 years.

 -----------------------------------------------Thanks to Sal, who beta reads for me (and contributes on occasion)

"What's up?"

 

Joe and Emiko exchanged a quick glance as Ryu approached.

 

"Nothing," said Joe.

 

Emiko nodded. "Just chatting."

 

Ryu scratched his head.  "You're sure being nice, Emi."

 

Blue eyes narrowed.  "Do NOT call me Emi.  Only Kazzie called me that.  And what business is it of yours if I choose to take off some armor?"

 

"Um...none?"

 

"Knock it off, street trash," Joe growled.  "He didn't mean anything."

 

Emiko gave Joe a glare on par with the Condor's own and stalked out.

 

"What's with her?" Ryu asked.

 

"Bad day.  What're you doing here?"

 

"Have you heard about the UN meeting tomorrow?  Kamo thinks that they might try to disband us."

 

"It's about time."

 

Ryu blinked.

 

"We've fought or trained to fight all our lives.  It's time we got a break.  So, why didn't Kamo tell us?"

 

"Well, Jinpei thinks he doesn't want us to know.  That you or Ken might go over and have a few words with them.   Jun's afraid that if Ken does find out, the strain might be really bad for him -I mean, his leukemia." He swallowed. “And she’s worried that they might try to find a way to stop all funding –including retirement benefits.”

 

G-2 considered.  "Great.  And that means I'll probably have to sit on Ken to keep him here."

 

"Says who?" said a female voice.

 

Joe glared.  "I thought you left, Emi?"

 

"DON'T call me that!  And I knew Ryu had something interesting to say, so when I stormed out, I didn't storm very far.  What d'yu think of that, chip-brain?"

 

Joe growled.  Emiko growled right back.  They glared at each other until Emiko looked away.

 

"I'LL go sit on my dear cousin," she said.  "You can do whatever."

 

Joe considered, then shrugged.  "Why not?  I'll go have a look at this 'meeting'.  Ryu, you coming or do you want to help Emi?"

 

"I'll just-"

 

"DON'T call me EMI!"

 

"-get something to eat."  Ryu made a fast exit.

 

Joe left the garage as well, ignoring the "daggers of death" look Emiko was giving him.

 

-----

 

Next day

 

The ISO sat in council with several of the Institute's sponsors.

 

"Since Sosai is gone and Galactor is finally destroyed, there is no more need for the Science Ninjas," the speaker was saying.  "Therefore, they will be disbanded."

 

"Excuse me, sir," objected one of the, if not oldest, certainly wealthiest, sponsors.  "Just because that alien's gone doesn't necessarily mean that we're safe from further attacks from space."

 

"We calculate the chances of another alien showing up on Earth's doorstep to be very unlikely.  The probabilities-"

 

"Forget probabilities!  Real life is rarely comparable to statistics and I'm not one of the most successful business men on the planet because I ignored that!"

 

"Well, we no longer have the money to fund any aspect of the KNT."

 

The sponsor blew a cloud of smoke from his pipe.  "Is money the main problem?"

 

"Well, actually, yes."

 

Alex Vohnyer knocked the ashes out of his pipe.  "Then with your permission, I will take over full sponsorship of the Kagaku Ninja Tai.  Earth cannot be left open to another alien threat."

 

"But, sir!"  the speaker protested.

 

The other sponsors in the room gasped in shock.

 

"And with your further permission, I will begin recruitment for the next generation of Science Ninjas."

Chapter End Notes:
Vohnyer knows something he ain't sharing.
~ Table of Contents ~
[Report This]