Ghosts of the past. Part 1- Devilstars by Ebonyswanne
[Reviews - 11] - Table of Contents - [Report This]

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +

Joe handed the suit bag to the receptionist at the ticket lounge of Utoland airport. "Could you make sure this gets back to the "Seabird" Restaurant. He requested.

"Yes sir, there will be a courier charge." She indicated politely.

"That's fine, I'll pay for it now." Joe pulled out his wallet and fixed up the fee before picking up his bag and walking to the flight lounge to waiting for the boarding notice. He figured he could catch some sleep on the flight- it would be very early in the morning before he reached his destination in the Bahama's.

* * * *

"Mr Asakura, we have you booked into the ‘Lagoon suite' on the other side of the resort, unfortunately you're room won't be ready until midday." The pretty young receptionist purred. Her dainty fingers ran over the keyboard in front of her, tapping the keys with her perfectly manicured red painted nails as she looked up the information.

"Ahh...that's fine, I can live without a room for a few hours." Joe said watching her- she was a very attractive and slender young woman wearing the uniform of the resort. Pale blue shorts and a fitted white blouse with a blue vest over the top with emblem of the resort over left bosom.

For a receptionist she didn't have a very professional manner about her, flicking back her shoulder length golden blond locks and batting her blue eyes in his direction suggestively. The more she flirted with him, the more he found her irritating.

Smiling like a cat watching it's prey she smile prettily and gracefully came to her feet.

"You can have some breakfast and wait at the bar by the pool...if that's you're pleasure Mr Asakura." She winked. Joe figured he should report her unprofessional manner later to her boss. Overly flirty girls had never been his type.

"I'm not hungry..."He hesitated for a second as a thought entered his mind." I'm meeting my son here, could you tell the suite that the Thompson's are staying in. I think I'll go and have breakfast with them." Joe asked politely.

"Well of course, what a good idea to meet up with friends. They're renting the beach house. The best way to get there is to walk along the beach- an early morning stroll is the best thing..." Her voice was dripping with honey, as she leaned over the counter and winked. Joe felt like throwing up.

"Yeah, I might do that." Joe answered as she looked down at his bag.

"If you like sir, you can leave your luggage here and I'll take it to you're room when it's ready..." She offered.

"That's fine by me," Joe sighed and handed her the bag and, walking away from her as fast as he could.

Once Joe rounded the corner...the receptionist smirked wickedly and got up from her chair and opened the door behind her.

Walking into the tiny store room she dropped the bag and walked over the unconscious man gagged and bound in the corner.

"You'll do, you're the right build for the job." She observed, the male receptionist that was rostered on that morning made her job much lighter when she gazed upon his broad shoulders and tanned skin, not only would she replace him, he fitted what she needed later on that day.

But now she had another opportunity that was too good to pass up! Shari always liked things a little more dramatic than her boss... Changing out of the uniform she put on her skin tight black leather outfit from head to toe, and picked up the mask, and her rose. Then she put a silencer on her gun and casually shot her prisoner in the head.

Picking up a communicator she passed on her orders to the men assigned to her. "You heard me!" She said to his protests about the change in plans." I like my plan much better...Mala only cares about my success, not my methods...and who'll know it's us!" She snapped. "No one! I have it all covered, the only real thing that's changed is the location, and the time. The catch is still the same, and in that we'll succeed."

I'll be well rewarded for this from my Mistress, She thought gleefully. I always catch my prey...

Without another thought she began to put her new plan into action...

* * * *

After being told by reception his room wouldn't be ready until midday Joe decided to go for a walk along the beach taking in the cool morning breeze that held the promise of a hot day ahead from the hints of warmth every now and then even at this early hour of the morning.

The sand crunched under his black leather boots as he took his time walking along the blinding white sandy beach. Joe paused for a moment to watch the waves come lazily into shore.

A perfect day...and it was about to get better. He thought. Slipping off his black leather jacket Joe felt overdressed for the beach in that moment, wearing a light white T-shirt helped him cool down a little, but the old jeans and long black boots would have to go. In a few hours he'd find something more appropriate to wear at a beach resort.

Smiling to himself Joe put on his dark sunglasses to cut down the bright glare of the sparkling water and pale golden sand of the beach stretching out in front of him.

Perfect, and peaceful, Joe thought as a serene calm fell over him. He started his short journey again to the other end of the beach, walking slowly towards the small beach house on it own right on the beachfront...

Joe didn't have to walk far before he heard a familiar voice he'd waited so long to hear.

"Ma...watch me build a big sand castle...today I'm building a moat around it." The gleeful sound of young boy's voice reached his ears.

Looking up he saw in the distance a young boy who could only be Jason run out towards the surf from the open door of the beach house and he began digging vigorously with a small shovel into the hard wet sand close to the waters edge. His thick messy caramel brown hair looked even more like his own these days.

He's grown so much! Joe felt a flood of emotions hit him at the first sight of his son in years, enough to leave his feet bolted to ground as the reality of how long he'd been gone slapped him across the face, as he watched him playing in the sand.

Drawing in a deep breath, Joe forced his legs to move. Soon it would be the two of the catching up on lost time. Well, he's almost eight...and the last photo I have of him he looks taller, his face is changing. Joe mused, studying him from a distance.

"Okay Jason, but you have to eat your breakfast first..." She called back to him.

An older woman who could only be Jason's foster mother placed a bowl in front of the man reading the newspaper at the small breakfast table set up out on the sand. 

"In a minute, I just need a few more... cool a white Feather for my flag post...Mark would think that's awesome..." Jason said shouted excitedly running a little further towards Joe, but he wasn't looking up. Jason was busy focusing on the task at hand- collecting seashells and his white feather.

Jason stopped running abruptly, and frowned...for a second Joe thought he had finally noticed him. But instead he glanced over his shoulder and looked at his foster parents. "Do you think my dad will be here today?" Jason sounded hopeful as he shouted back at them. His foster mother indicated for him to speak up. Jason's tone lowered, but the wind caught his last comment and carried back to Joe. " He promised me in that email you showed me...he's coming home this time...I hope so. I want to believe him this time. "

The woman indicated that she couldn't hear him, so Jason gave up and went back to his project intently looking at shells and putting them into his pockets.

Tears of joy stung Joe's eyes at those words. Jason wanted to see him! And he was excited about it. I've missed you too...He silently told Jason. I love you my son I'm right here forever!

In a few moments he planned to tell him out loud during their reunion...Joe felt the corners of his mouth twitch into a small smile as he began to walk a little faster towards him.

The smile dropped as the sudden overwhelming feeling of Déjà Vu hit Joe like a bolt of lightening as he took in the scene ahead of him.

He's been here before...

A bright warm sunny day...his own parents having breakfast sitting at a small table by the beach...him...collecting shells and playing in the sand...Dropping his jacket onto the ground Joe felt like he was watching himself the day his parents died...

The high sharp sounds of gunfire jolted Joe out of his daze- refusing to be a spectator once again he began sprinting towards Jason as his foster parents collapsed under a rain of bullets onto the table. His heart pounding from the exertion, adrenaline pumping through his veins propelled him towards Jason closing the gap between them in seconds.

"Jason run towards me!" Joe yelled frantically.

But it was like Jason couldn't hear him- the boy had heard the shots and began running back towards his foster parents.

"Jason stop, you're in danger!" Joe shouted. Knowing he was running towards certain death, Joe stepped up his pace forcing his legs to go harder and faster.

Then he saw it...a single red rose flew threw the air in a graceful, but deadly arc and landed a few feet from where Jason had stopped running. Jason was looking at someone standing inside of the house...his young face contorted in anger, his hands balling into tight fists.

Joe had seen roses like that before...The signature of a Devilstar assassin.

 His momentum enabled him to launch himself into the air and without hesitation he threw himself on top of Jason just as the rose exploded sending masses of sand flying into the air and blasting Joe hard like a sand storm. The sting of the sand hitting his face was excruciating, yet he couldn't cry out in pain, he couldn't move. Jason lay underneath him, Joe couldn't tell if he was dead or unconscious...before Joe knew it he the world around him began to spin and after that...he saw nothing.

 

 

~ Table of Contents ~
[Report This]