Reconciliation by Ebonyswanne
[Reviews - 16] - Table of Contents - [Report This]

Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +

 

Walking towards the park Jun reflected on her farewell with Joe in her mind. She could still feel his tight embrace and his misty eyes as he said goodbye. "After I say goodbye to Jason I'll hire a race car at the local track and get it out of my system before I report for duty... Nothing like flogging a high powered engine to release the pain and guilt I'm feeling about leaving him behind."

"Sounds like a good idea Joe," She said letting go of him, she stepped back as Ken clasped his hand and gave him a light punch in the shoulder. "That's for old times Joe...you'll make a great commander...just think before you push any red buttons okay."

"Yeah, I'll hear your voice in my head every time..." Joe snickered. Little Jason touched her hand and she leaned down and embraced him. "I want to go with daddy..."

"I know..." She said looking into his eyes. "He'll come back one day soon and you can live with him forever then..."

Jason looked down at his shoes and didn't say anything else as Joe ushered him onto the train for the first part of their journey to Ameris...As it pulled out they waved goodbye and Joe disappeared into the horizon.

"I'll see you soon." Ken put his arm around her shoulders and kissed her lightly on the lips...

Her thoughts then turned to Jinpei out on the ocean somewhere or almost to their destination by now.... Jinpei cried and asked her to keep in touch. She cried too...and worked to stay strong for him like she used to do when he was a little boy.

She saw the look of new found freedom on his face when he boarded his Fishing Trawler with Ryu. It left her with mixed feelings of being happy for him, and feeling like he'd grown up overnight and forgot to tell her...

Sighing heavily Jun prepared herself for the next farewell in her life. Mark and his family were moving to Ameris too...

"Hi Jun..." Natasha's bright smile lifting her spirits and wore away at her gloomy mood she returned her smile and picked up her pace and headed towards the playground. Marks laughter and high spirits was infectious.

Matt and Mark were kicking a ball around together. Matt's limp prevented him from running after it. But he was trying to keep up with his son.

They talked for a while and she played with Mark on the equipment. He scared her half to death when he jumped down from the highest platform and landed gracefully onto the ground.

"I know, he scared me half to death too the first time he did it...He so active." Natasha smiled at her knowingly. "It's the cybernetics, he's a little to game sometimes from his own good, it's like Mark has no fear of anything..."

"Come on Jun...lets go through the tunnel!" He yelled gleefully, his bright blue eyes sparkled and he ran ahead of her into the maze of tunnels.

"In a minute Mark." She called back to the over eager child.

Where's Ken? She thought looking around to see if he was walking towards them from any direction. Yet he remained unseen.

"So, when is the move happening?" Jun asked watching Matt pick up the ball and walk over to the tunnel to listen to something Mark was trying to say.

"Next week, we bought a house in a suburb not far from the ISO headquarters. Matt found an old abandoned airfield on the outskirts of the city we're moving to it has a small shack and a tower, so he decided to buy it along with a Cessna he plans to do up for Mark, a father son project he calls it. The good thing is from what I know Jason's new home isn't to far away...we figured the boys might like to play together. It'll be good for them." Natasha said watching Mark from the corner of her eye. "Dr Anderson will know more about the cybernetics and what the implant is doing in his brain. We hope to move back to Utoland one day when we know for sure it's not going to cause any long term damage to him..."

Jun held that hope too of them returning to Utoland, but she had learned in recent times not to cling to people too much. She kept a place in her heart for them and she knew no matter what the five team mates had a special bond together that will last a lifetime, and that was the same for Mark and his family.

"I don't know what's happened to Ken...he had a few things to do..."Jun looked over her shoulder again to see if he was close by."Tash I have to get going, I've got a lot of work to do." Jun said walking with her towards Mark and Matt to say her farewells once more.

Natasha put her hand on her arm to get her attention. "Don't be a stranger to us Jun...you're welcome in our home anytime." With that she handed Jun a set of keys and piece of paper with an address on it. "They're for our new house...please say you'll come and visit us sometime."

Overwhelmed with emotion Jun embraced her and said." Thank you..."

"No...it's us who should be thanking you...for everything." Natasha said through her own tears. Jun understood what she meant by that, so many things to say- and yet none of the words needed to be spoken.

As Jun reached the edge of the park she caught a glimpse of Ken approaching them. A small smile came to her face when she saw he had Cecil the teddy bear with him. He crouched down and handed him to Mark...

He clasped hands with Matt and the three off them began kicking a ball around together. Who'd know by looking at the scene that Mark had two fathers who played different roles in life, something Mark would have to work out for himself as he grew into a man how he felt about his life and the choices made for him as a baby. To anyone else it was a normal family time in the park with no special attachment to layers beneath the surface and the relationships being form.

Hurrying back to her new motor bike Jun had to get back to the restaurant, her interviews started in under an hour and she wanted to look through some of the resume's before the first person arrived.

 

~ Table of Contents ~
[Report This]